Thursday, November 10, 2005

Information About James KEAHINUI

I have decided to try something a little different.

Since I do not seem to be getting anywhere with Grandpop Dave, I decided to try to get a handle on this "Uncle Jimmy".

Family story has it that Grandpop Dave came to the US with someone called "Uncle Jimmy". Grandpop and Uncle Jimmy had stayed in touch after they arrived here. Uncle Jimmy even became Godfather to one of my Uncle Robert.

Keeping this in mind, I sent for Baptismal Records. Uncle Robert's Baptismal Certificate states that his Godfather's name is James KEAHINUI. I think this James KEAHINUI is the "Uncle Jimmy" that Grandpop came over with.

I did a search on the LDS website, and came up with the following:

James KEAHINUI
b. 15 August 1895
d. July 1962, Philadelphia, Pa.
(source: SSDI. This also states that his SS# was issued in New York.)

I also posted a query to the Hawaii-L list that I belong to, here is what I received in return:

James KEAHINUI, age 15
born Hawaii
parents born Hawaii
Pupil at Kamehameha School, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii
(source: 1910 census for Hawaii)

I am hoping to follow up on this information. I do not know if I can get any information from the Kamehameha Schools, but I am definitely going to try.
I also want to write to the State of Pennsylvania to get a death certificate on him, however, I think I need to do a little more research before I send for that - to see if I can get an exact date of death.
Family Tree Magazine has a Hawaii Research Guide, so there are a few websites I want to visit and a few places I want to write to - I will also be asking for help with my Grandpop Dave.
I also intend to go downtown to the National Archives one day next week. I am going mainly to search passenger lists, but they also have Merchant Marine info there.

So, I have a plan to follow, for now...

No comments: